Thursday 13 January 2022

never too late to start a new family's tradition

If my memory serves me correctly, I've been attending Potter's House Christian Ministry since 2018. My first pastor, an Australian, arrived in Kupang with his lovely wife and four children. His mother church in Australia sent him here. I got to know this family well, and we became friends as they helped me in getting back on my feet and working on my spiritual life. I witnessed how they come together strong as a family to reach out to the lost for God while living far away from their comfort zone. It wasn't easy but they held each other dearly and their strong bond has inspired me. 

One time they asked me to take their family photo for their annual Christmas card which they needed to send out early for their loved ones abroad. Despite the fact that I didn't perform a really good job, they were extremely gracious and thanked me for my assistance. Later on, I realized that my family never took a proper family portrait together and I figured it was the right timing to do it. Previously, my younger brother just graduated from university and he needed to take nice graduation photos as well. Basically it was like throwing one stone and hitting two birds. I proposed this idea to my family and they approved. My other younger brother suggested a little photo studio run by a friend, which we liked. We decided on a dress code of white or red. We had a lot of fun during the photo shoot, and we probably caused the photographer a lot of stress because we were too noisy and wanted to try so many various poses (sorry photographer-nim). I ended up making DIY Christmas cards for my families and good friends by printing out copies of one of our best portraits. 

I am glad I proposed that idea to my family and they came along, we now have a family tradition, taking family portraits for Christmas. We started in 2019 and it has been three years in total, with new faces joining us each year. My brother's friend joined us in 2019, my cousin joined us in 2020, and my sister's soon-to-be husband joined us last year. I used to envy my friends' walls covered in photo frames; now I'm scared that my parents' walls will be covered in our portraits; yet, it's a nice kind of fear because I'm truly happy about it.
First family portrait back in 2019

Not really happy with the background but still we had fun (2020)

We may or may not look like minions hehe (2021)


No comments:

Post a Comment